10 biggest automotive bombs of 2011

Discuss what's new, which are the best cars, bikes and off-roaders....

Moderator: azi malik

10 biggest automotive bombs of 2011

Postby azi malik on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:22 am

* BMW X6. This was the slope-backed "sports activity coupe" that showed up a couple of years ago. Because it's high and practical, it doesn't have the swept-back, breathtaking looks of most of the BMW line. No surprise, then, that it's not a big seller.
* Mercedes-Benz R-Class. The new version is better looking than the last one. But there's no changing the fact that it's an ungainly large family hauler, and not a terribly attractive one.
* Ford Flex/Lincoln MKT. Ford took a chance by coming up with crossover that seemed to remind buyers of the boxy, practical old International Travelall. It's an expensive vehicle -- for a Ford -- and it made its debut at the bottom of the recession. The Lincoln version is a little more stylish, but critics hate the toothy grille.
* Smart ForTwo. The smallest car on sale in the U.S. also has some of the tiniest sales figures. But what do you expect from an aging design such as this? Let's see what happens when Mercedes-Benz takes over distribution.
* Toyota Tundra. Toyota tried hard to build a full-size pickup to match the Ford F-150 and Chevrolet Silverado. At first, it looked as if Toyota might cause trouble for the American brands, but those worries have since faded.
* Nissan Quest. Minivans were already a small segment, but there's no taking down the Dodge, Chrysler, Honda and Toyota rivals.
* Maybach. The super-luxury Mercedes-Benz meant to compete against Rolls-Royce and Bentley has just languished.
* Honda Insight. We've said it before: The Insight is a splendid little hybrid that has suffered when compared with the Toyota Prius, but is perfectly good when compared with any other modestly priced small sedan. It hasn't met sales expectations, and that's a shame.
* Acura ZDX. Just as the BMW X6 hasn't sold well, it should be no surprise that another boxy luxury crossover wouldn't be doing well, either.
* Subaru Tribeca.The Tribeca got off to a bad start with some horrible styling, inside and out, in its first iteration. But even when its strange looks were fixed, it hasn't caught on.
mauro_carlo_mercedes-benz_c63_amg_longest_car_drift__medium.jpg
mauro_carlo_mercedes-benz_c63_amg_longest_car_drift__medium.jpg (38.88 KiB) Viewed 949 times
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Return to General Chat