Replacing Car Speakers

Discuss what's new, which are the best cars, bikes and off-roaders....

Moderator: azi malik

Replacing Car Speakers

Postby ICE on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:55 pm

All you Car/4 wheels people

It's about time you guys start showing off some real knowledge :lol: J/K

I know I know finally the Biker Boy has grown up and graduated to 4 wheels. Got my license on 1st of July and got us an Audi A3.

The question I have is relating to the stock speakers which I intend to replace. Reasons: not happy with the sound quality, dont get that bass feel from the speakers

Facts: My car is a 2 door sportback, it has only front speakers and I cannot fix the rear speakers without replacing the stock head unit (Audi Chorus)

Recommendation given by audio store is I can replace the stock speakers with MB quart component speakers. They have suggested to not go with the 3 way and 4 way speakers which is also available reasons it may not produce the sound quality and for front it is always advised to go for component.

The Question is this the right thing to do (go for component speakers) as the 3 way will not be effective? and secondly has anyone used MB Quart? Can anyone provide feedback on them, and what others do you have to suggest.

TNT, Root, navad looking for some insights from you'll I have very little knolwedge when it comes to cars.

Cheers Guys
ICE
Mod god
Mod god

My Ride: I ride a beast on the road, a maniac on tracks!
My Profession: IT Proffesional
My Dream Ride: DUCATI

Re: Replacing Car Speakers

Postby T.N.T on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:01 pm

Try talking to Neo on www.uaeboost.net/forums
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby Brembo on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:46 pm

MB quartz is very very well known among all audiophiles. if you install component speakers you will need an amp to get the best out of them.
which audio shop did you goto? lot of it also lies in the skill of the installer.
good luck and do let us know what you end up getting finally.

i would also suggest you listen to the speakers before buying them if possible.
some people like the sony/kenwood speakers while others like bose, while some others like jbl better. it all depends on what sounds good to you.
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Postby ICE on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:02 am

GWT

As recommended by my friend who works at Audi.

Although am a sound buff but I don't feel the need to do a full system upgrade with Amps and other stuff because I don't use the car that much its mostly with my better half,

its a good idea to try out the speakers to see which one sounds good to me. Does GWT allow that?

I'll make sure to take some of my fav songs along for analysis.
ICE
Mod god
Mod god

Postby kapil on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Hey guys,

Brembo's suggestion hold ground. Components are better in terms of creating and controling teh sound feild. Make sure that the tweaters are just not placed ANYWHERE ( assuming they will put the tweaters else where to the location of the speaker itself). Move them around and see where you like the sound. My suggestion would be the A-Pillers slightly lower than teh ear level facing the opposite side and not the driver or the glass.

but......

There are a lot of technicaleties in choosing and matching a speaker. One basic suggestion..... Look for teh widest frequency range. The lower the starting the better the bass and the higher the upper one the better the treble. If you dont want to change teh head unit, then get a low power- wide frequency handling speaker. e.g... normally you would get speakers from 60Hz to 18000Hz... one with 40hz to 20000hz will have more dynamic range and better overall sound. This sound might also vary from one make to other depending on the kind of material used for the cone, the allowed movement of the cone, teh kind of frame etc.. sometimes a low priced unit from a not so well known make is better than the high-end, hi-cost brands.

Listening to speakers on the shop's pannel and listning to them in teh car are 2 diff things... See if they can temperarly put them in teh car car pannel and play. No need to put the tweaters as you want base.

Moreover, if the mid range and high frequency (treble) is ok with you from teh current speakers, then for teh low end (Bass) you can put an ACTIVE base tube in teh back.

All teh installer will have to do is take a prallel output and power and plug it to the tube which can be tied down with a velcro tape. In case this is solution you want, you can ask teh installer to put detachable plugs so you can remove the tube if u ever want to use that space.

I can suggest FUSION or JBL. the price diffrential is almost double for teh JBL.

taking your fav musice is teh best thing to do. also test any audio system or speaker by setting it to flat.

And do let us know.
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Wrangler YJ - 95
My Profession: ****
My Dream Ride: Sukohi Su 30-mki

Postby ICE on Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:36 pm

Yes Kapil the mid and trebble in the stock system is good no complaints about it. The bass is what is missing.

Can you guys recommend some places, I have been to just 1 so far, Gulf Wireless.
ICE
Mod god
Mod god

Postby Brembo on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:22 pm

ive heard mixed reviews about gulf wireless. some good, some bad. i think if you go there and spend lots of $$$$ they like you. if not they dont like you so much lol.

do try to listen to the speaker before buying, take along one of your cds also.
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Postby kapil on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Just buy Fusion Active tube (not the box) from e-max, if you are on a budget (Aprox 600AED) or the JBL active tube (aprox 1500 AED). Some shop in city center should have it.

You can get teh wires pulled to teh back of the car by any shop and get them connected. Lot of guys in Qusais do this, maybe for 50-100 Dhs. you can even connect them yourself. I am not sure but maybe teh e-max guys help with such installations. Again, i am not sure about this.

You can even do it yourself on a weekend!

If you are puting the tube, then just set teh frequency to about 50hz point and the level to a point which you like when playing the system at a moderate volume.

This is like the most un-intrusive solution that you can use. In my opinion, dont change teh stock system until you are absolutly dead sure and won't regret the decision later!

All teh best
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Wrangler YJ - 95
My Profession: ****
My Dream Ride: Sukohi Su 30-mki

Postby ICE on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:44 am

I got myself a sub yesterday (tube) as recommended by Kapil. No fancy brand name got it from a friend who no longer uses it. where do I get this fixed now.

Kapil you said some place in Qusais, how much time would it consume to get it fixed, do I need to leave it for a few hours?

Any other recommended places, closer to Discovery gardens area upto Bur Dubai

Cheers

Cheers
ICE
Mod god
Mod god

Postby root on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Satwa should have places that do this stuff!
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Return to General Chat