The big, bad BMW is back

Discuss what's new, which are the best cars, bikes and off-roaders....

Moderator: azi malik

The big, bad BMW is back

Postby T.N.T on Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:26 am

The all-new 2009 BMW 7 series, now finally unveiled after what seemed like ages of testing their final design. Some might like it, some might hate it. This one is as controversial as its predecessor and bound to sell like hot cakes in the UAE.
A fresh range of turbocharged petrol and diesel engines are now available. The biggest change comes in the form of rear-wheel steering.
It will be shown to the public at the Paris auto show in September.
Pricing hasn't yet been finalised but the officials at BMW are hinting at a higher price than before.
The 2009 BMW 7 series also becomes the first car ever to offer full on-demand internet access. The new system has taken years to be fine-tuned and will be operated using the heavily revised iDrive.
It is 1.3 inches longer and 0.5 inches lower than its predecessor though its width remains the same. On the other hand, the wheelbase has been increased by a pretty considerable 3.3 inches. The front and rear tracks are wider by 1.5 inches and 2.2 inches respectively.
Body is 77 pounds heavier than before and uses aluminium extensively while and is claimed to be stiffer than before thanks to the use of high strength steel in the inner structure.
On the inside, the main noticeable change is the return of the gear lever on the console.
In-car entertainment is high on the agenda with hard-drive music storage, multichannel audio amplification, and auxiliary audio input and iPod/USB ports, along with the usual six-disc CD/DVD-A changer. The new 7 series also serves up the comfort to go with it, offering the option of four-zone climate control, seats with both ventilation and massage functions, and a newly developed glass roof panel.
Other key developments include active cruise control with a new stop-and-go capability, lane departure warning, blind spot detection, head-up display, night vision with pedestrian detection, along with sideview and reversing cameras.
The 740i gets a 3.0 inline six, twin-turbocharged to give a healthy output of 326 hp. The 750i gets the same twin-turbo 4.4 V8 used in the X6 and produces an output of 407 hp and 600 Nm of torque ( :shock: ) and gives the 7 series the ability to reach 100 in just 5.2 seconds.

O K, enough of the boring stuff! Some pics, enjoy:

Twin-turbo V8

Yes, that's Google :)

Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Re: The big, bad BMW is back

Postby root on Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:50 am

Looks a lot sportier...looks like BMW has done a good job while bringing this out!

Internet..well, I wonder why more cars don't have more of it. It's really cheap these days to add this stuff..all you really need is a 3G HSDPA card and SIM and you can get broadband speeds. What would be cool if it had Wi-Fi as well in the car for passengers who want to hook-up their laptops or iPhones or PSPs. Actually anyone can get Wi-fi in their car by buying those Etisalat 3G Wireless routers and place them in the car.

Doesn't this one have the self/auto-parking feature like the Lexus LS and VW Tiguan? That seems to be a must-have gimmick these days.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby T.N.T on Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:46 pm

I don't think it does, not sure though.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby Tanko on Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:09 pm

Wow, That's a nice car! Much better than the current 7 series which somehow has aged quite a bit.
Would the 740 have a 3.0 6 cyl? I would have thought 8 cyl.
Tanko
Rookie
Rookie

Postby T.N.T on Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:00 pm

T.N.T wrote:The 740i gets a 3.0 inline six, twin-turbocharged to give a healthy output of 326 hp.

:)
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Return to General Chat